Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Bi Luo Chun (Pi Lo Chun)

Bi Luo Chun (aka Pi Lo Chun) is one of my all-time favorite teas. I previously didn't even like green tea, but it was one of the first fine teas that I was introduced to, and immediately became a favorite.

The name means "Spring Snail", which is both descriptive of the shape the leaves are rolled into (a spiral shape) and is named after Bi Luo Peak. It was originally named Xia Si Ren Xiang, meaning "Astounding Fragrance", although I've also seen it translated as "Scarry Fragrance". It is one of the "Top 10 famous teas of China" (at least that which comes from Dong Ting), and has a long history.

I got this first from Serenity Art, here in Portland, but got a couple others as well, including the original and famous Dong Ting Bi Luo Chun from www.teaspring.com. The girl at the tea shop recommended it, and when I failed to buy some she gave me a sample. I've been drinking it every day since.

Serenity Art has 4 grades - A through D. Most websites only have one, and it can be hard to tell what you're going to get. The top grade has lots of white tips in it, and almost looks like you're holding a jar full of cotton strings. The lower grades have less tips, and more dark green leaves. The Dong Ting Bi Luo Chun has lots of tips, and actually a whole lot of downy hairs on and from the tea buds. They also have a slightly golden tinge.



Grade "A" from Serenity Art


Grade "A" from Serenity Art
Click to see high resolution version



Lower grade from Adigo Teas


Lower grade from Adigo Teas
Click for high resolution version




Dong Ting Bi Luo Chun from TeaSpring.com
Click to see high resolution version, must see!



Notice that the higher grades have many more white and fluffy tips. The Dong Ting Bi Luo Chun has lots and lots of fuzzy down that even leaves dust on anything that it comes in contact with. This gives it a definite mouth feel that the other types don't have. The difference between grades is pretty easy to see. I will try to set up a more aesthetically pleasing background for taking pictures later on, but this will do for now.


What I like the most about this tea is that the flavor is incredibly complex. Unfortunately it's so complex that it's kinda hard to describe. Sensational Teas notes that everyone describes it differently, and it's easy to see why. I'll try my best.

The first thing I noticed is that it takes the things I normally dislike in green teas, the astringency and slight bitterness, and puts them in perfect harmony and balance with a very distinct smoothness and sweetness. It has a whole range of flavors that seem impossible to go together, yet seem to be in perfect symbiosis. It's like having a classic masterpiece painting of colors in your mouth (I know that sounds cheezy, but in this case it's the only way I can think to describe it). It's fragrant, fruity (light apricot and citrus, especially), vegetal, maybe very slightly grassy, nutty, bitter that quickly morphs into sweet, and has a whole range of other nuances, all lined up in perfect order, and all at once. The aftertaste is lasting and sweet, with a perfect astringency that you feel more than taste. The aroma is warm, very lightly fragrant, and sweet like honeysuckle (which present in the taste as well). None of the flavors or qualities are separate, they are all inexplicably intertwined.

Overall this is a tea that immediately grabs your attention and challenges you to tease out the tastes. It's an experience unto itself.

Lower quality Bi Luo Chun is a little more on the bitter side, a little less complex, and a little less smooth. Ironically, I actually didn't like the Dong Ting nearly as much as I expected; which is really disappointing considering how much it costs. It was very very smooth and sweet, but it just didn't have the same complexities. For being the supposed 'best of the best', it didn't seem like a high-grade. Perhaps it was actually a lower grade of Dong Ting, I don't know. It does have a lot more mouth feel, however, which I attribute to the much greater amount of downy hairs on the tips. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad tea at all, it's really very good, it's just not what I expect from a super high grade Bi Luo Chun. To it's credit it is a very nice delicate and sweet green tea that is somewhat ethereal - it almost seems like the flavor is sitting on top of your tongue.

The only catch with this tea is that it can be a challenge to brew correctly, but it is definitely worth it. The easiest way I've found to do it is to use 160~170 degree (F) water with 1 tsp of leaf in a 16 oz cup with no filter. The small amount of leaf with a double serving of water seems to give a perfect cup each time. Brewing less is trickier, but is primarily a matter of not letting it brew too long. You DEFINITELY don't want to use chlorinated tap water - to me that would be like using a dirty coffee cup to drink Dom Perion, and it would definitely make it more flat.

If you're in Portland, head to the Fubonn Shopping Center on 82nd Ave and get some of this from Serenity Art. I can't remember exactly how much I paid, but it was along the lines of $10 for 3oz, which is incredibly cheap. Otherwise try some of the online shops, but pay attention to the pictures and descriptions. SpecialTeas.com appears to have the Dong Ting variety, but I don't know if it's the same as what I got from TeaSpring.com or not.

2 comments:

Jess K said...

i like teacuppa premium bi luo chun! very yummy cup! a lot of white tips!

Unknown said...

I must admit this is the first time I've heard about this tea, I'm a tea lover as well and always nice to know different variety of tea, (at least for me). Thanks for introducing Bi Luo Chun tea. :)blooming tea lover