Wednesday, August 22, 2007

TChing Tasting

I was originally going to include some pictures, however the fact is that you've probably already seen them from everyone else's notes. My notes are brief, but here they are. A big 'thank you' to TChing for the samples!

Meghma Nepalese Oolong
I don't want to spend a lot of time on this one because I don't believe I can give it a fair analysis. To me this tastes very much like a Bai Hao, which is, quite simply, not really my cup -- not bad, just not my personal preference. It is a relatively high-oxidation oolong that is quite smooth with a sweet and sour fruity body that is a bit like grapes. Someone that is accustomed to black teas wishing to try something different would do well to try something like this. My personal preference, however, is something less oxidized with a more floral aroma. To be fair, however, it is a bit smoother and well balanced than most bai hao's I've had.

Snowbud
This one, on the other hand, is absolutely delightful. At first this reminded me of a white peony, light and floral, but it also has a slightly fruity note to it. Grapes perhaps? It's almost just a shillouette of a fruit that is hard to define, but nevertheless adds quite a bit. I was surprised to find that this tea has some viscosity, which is something that I love in my teas and have not found in a white tea before. The aroma, and less so taste, does have a slight vegetal quality to it as well, as the silver needle-like appearance of the dry leaf suggests. It is light and sweet, without any smokiness that is often found in other white teas, with a round body and a very slight astringency in the aftertaste. I find this to have a greater complexity than most white teas, with different nuances noted with each sip. A great one overall.

No comments: